Sunday, December 21, 2014

My friends.....

Four days before Christmas.
All the gifts are made and bought, if not yet wrapped.
I go pick up Ronni the day after tomorrow in Chicago,
Terry will be here that afternoon
and Hil will be here that night.
It's been a year since we were all under one roof.
It's been a year of great changes and challenges for my family.
Feeling so blessed to gather again!

However, as I was thinking of my blessings, you came to my mind.
How very grateful I am for our friendship!
Whether I have know you for decades, or only a few years, 
you have truly touched my life.

Knowing that you are a phone call, text, email, or facebook message away,
means the world to me.
We may not communicate often, 
or I may see you every week,
but you are always in the shadows of my thoughts, memories and prayers.

When I receive a heartfelt hug,
not only am I touched by that person, 
but also by the memory of hugs we have shared.

When I laugh at the silliness of conversations,
I am enjoying the moment, as well as the memories of laughs that we shared.

Even eating at a grocery cafeteria, 
can bring memories of school lunch rooms and all the companionship that was formed there.

Sharing bits of ourselves with each other has such great meaning!
Sharing tears, prayers, belly laughs, knowing glances, kicks under the table, holidays, games, 
moments of silence that are comfortable, walks in the rain, parenting struggles and joys,
marriage and relationship ups and downs, times of illness and confusion, and so much more,
with you, has given my life such meaning.

Seeking the truth and the honesty of what makes us friends,
sharing the most intimate pieces of my soul with you, 
over the years,
has made me whole.
The person who I am now.

This year has been difficult with old friends' passing,
the weariness of age creeping upon me,
time and distance and obligations, 
that keep me from reaching out to you as often as I would like, 
or even as often as you enter my thoughts,
has made me realize what a gift I truly have in our friendship.

I am praying that, as you celebrate Christmas this year, 
you take a moment to count your blessings,
through the joys and troubles that are equally important.
To come out the other side of these moments blessed.

Even if we never speak or see one another again, for some reason,
know that you have ment the world to me.
For every kindness,  every moment of understanding of my quirky ways,
every time you were completely honest with me for my own good,
every smile you gave me, 
every prayer you sent up for me.
I thank you.
I love you.
I am blessed by you.

No comments: