Friday, March 16, 2012

COOKIES!

Chocolate chocolate chip
so good, you need a swig of milk with each bite!

Orange cookies....
a Ballard family favorite

I lead a team at my church.
The CARE ministry makes meals for
new mommies,
folks just out of the hospital,
new adoptive or foster families,
folks getting sucker punched.

However, not many members know that we offer this service.
It used to be that the church was the first place
you went for announcements, help and information.
Everyone jumped right in to make a meal,
send a card or offer services
like sitting with a member before surgery,
visiting a shut in,
inviting someone who was far from home
to share a holiday dinner with your family.

I remember very well,
when I lived in Alabama and the girls were small,
James Tilley, one of our elders at church
would bring us a watermelon, or offer to fix plumbing
basically help with anything I needed.
I suppose, because my husband worked in New York,
I was considered a widow with orphans....!
Whatever the motivation,
I will always be so thankful to James and Doris Tilley.

This old timey custom is what the CARE ministry is trying to uphold.
I have an AWESOME team, and many ladies I can call upon
in a moment's notice for a meal delivered, or card sent.

This Sunday...the day after tomorrow,
my team will be stuffing 500 bags with 1000 cookies
to give to our members at the end of every service.
We will include a card stating the purpose
and explaining our ministry.
I expect to get a bit busier...not that folks need to
get busier on the baby front...
and we don't want anyone in the hospital!
Just a little more aware, and to again, know that
the church family is the first place to go!

So today I am baking and making
taco soup and fruit salad for my team.
I am so very blessed.

No comments: