Saturday, August 3, 2013

Old's CollegeMaster Spinner Program: year two

This past week I spent in Brighton Michigan.
I rented a car and drove up to Howell Michigan last Sunday.
Monday morning I began an intensive study for level two of
Old's Master Spinner class.
I have four years to go.

Howell Master Spinners Level 1
Last year, my classmates met in the Spinning Loft, as strangers.

This year we met in the home of one of our member's homes, connected.
Evil Michelle was a gracious hostess,
and her fiber basement is to drool over and die for.
Her nickname has changed from Evil to Squishy.
Evil was only because she is such a fiber enabler.
One never regrets the items she forces upon you!
However, we learned this week, what a loving, giving, squishy
attentive hostess, friend she really is.
Thanks Michelle! 
We'll be back next year.
Photo: Such a great week!  So very blessed. Will miss seeing these gals every day!
Strangers only a year ago, friends now!
Wonderful how common interests build friendships so quickly!
Also quite comforting to know that we all are basically, caring, fun loving,
enabling, hospitality oriented people.
Some work with computers, some are retired medical, some students,
some military, some homemakers, some working with the
worst of the worst in our prison systems, but all open and loving.
However, we truly missed our classmate Stetson from last year,
and Sarah was a nice addition to our group.

Our instructor for level two...and hopefully level three, was Leslie.
What a wonderful teacher she is.
She also discovered Ravelry and our group's page!
Full of information, patience, and wonder and excitement herself for our "craft".


Well, I have a year to complete level two and have a great beginning.
I was provided all the necessary fibers to complete the samples.
I also bout a few other fibers to continue my breed study independently.
This year is camelids...llama, alpaca, both suri and huacaya.
The year will also include mohair, silks, and much blending of both fiber and color.
I will be spinning knitting yarn, crochet yarn and needlepoint yarn.
I will calculate twists per inch using algebra.
I will calculate the amount of raw fleece needed for a sweater....again using algebra.
I am looking forward to this year....with NO BROKEN BONES!

After arriving home, I was exhausted,
but I have come to expect no rest when returning from a trip.
Life begins again as I left it with a weeks worth of....moving forward without me...problems.
I tackled figuring out the broken doggie door, and fixing it,
discovering moths all over my house!
Yes, the wool eating kind.

So today I spent the majority of the morning bagging up all of my unprocessed fiber
that was not sealed in plastic boxes.

I will place these bags in the hot cars for a week or so, then into the freezer for a week.  Out for two weeks then back into the freezer for another week.  I will then store these fibers in paper lawn bags which will be stored in ventilated cleaner bags.
 
 
Laundry, cleaning, lawn mowing, paying bills, etc.  Life has started again!
I loved the week away, but really missed home.
Muddy puppy prints on my bed, the construction on Main Street, meals to make for new babies,
suet for the birds, tomatoes to pick. 
It feels good to be back!
Next week will begin sorting and washing fleece, spinning and combing and knitting.
For now,  life moves forward.
I am blessed.
So blessed that the crack in the rental's windshield, I did not do! 
Would have been nice for Enterprise to let me know this ahead of time.
 
Below are only a tiny example of different drop spindles.
Top whorl, bottom whorl, supported, kick spindles......
I have hated spinning with a drop spindle for years.
I have now tried a few and possible will enjoy this process.
I have high hopes.
 



 I REALLY want this Jensen Turkish spindle above!





 

 

 

No comments: