Thursday, October 8, 2009

Grapes

Veronica brought me two bushels of concord grapes from a fellow waiter who's family supplies for Welches. My whole house smells of concord grapes! It is the most delicious smell ever. Not as strong as juice, but stronger than jelly!

I truly have my work cut out for me! Especially since I go to Kokomo to spin at the Fall Alpaca Festival all day Saturday! I still need to get my alpaca carded into rollogs so I can spin them. Clean and pack the spinning wheel. And I would like to vacuum so my allergies settle down a bit!

I used to make apple jelly every year. This started when we lived in New York 18 years ago. What wonderful apples!

Last year I discovered concord grapes where we have picked apples since living in Indiana, and they smelled so wonderful, I bought some to try. I sooo like making grape jelly better than apple! It seems a bit easier to get it to jell than with apples.

Oh I am sure I will make at least a batch of apple jelly, as I want to make some crock pot apple butter! The house is going to get quite a scent treat this fall, let me tell you!

OK..Off to pop skins for pies and boil down grapes for juice. Begin the process next week!

favorite grape jelly recipe:
6 pounds concord grapes...2/3 fully ripe, 1/3 firm yet ripe
3/4 c water
3 3/4 c sugar
Wash and de-stem grapes. Crush grapes in 6-8 qt kettle. Add water. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until grapes are very soft.

Strain through colander lined with cheesecloth at least 4 1/2 hours. Chill juice 12-14 hours and restrain through cheesecloth.

Place juice in kettle. Add sugar, stir to dissolve. Bring to full boil, uncovered until syrup sheets off of metal spoon or reaches 200 on candy thermometer. (20 minutes)
Immediately ladle into hot jelly jars. Process for 5 minutes

Grape Pie:
4 c concord grapes
1 c sugar
1/8 t salt
2 1/2 T tapioca
1T lemon juice
1T unsalted butter

Slip skins off of grapes and reserve. Put pulp in saucepan and simmer over med low hear until soft enough to release the seeds. (8 min) Push through a wire mesh strainer to remove seeds. Combine pulp with reserved skins.
Mix sugar salt and tapioca together in a bowl. Add to grapes and add lemon juice. Pour filling into prepared unbaked crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust and leave air holes.
Bake 10 min at 450. Lower temp to 350 and bake another 25 -30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 30 minutes before serving

No comments: