Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Flower Frogs


I have many passions.
I have many collections.
One collection in particular focuses on a passion.
Gardening and flower frogs.
Flower frogs were invented in the 1920's and 30's
Apparently a huge fad of flower arranging was all the thing then.
As you can tell from my small collection, there are many types of frogs.

Some are shaped as animals with holes in their backs.

Some are tiny sharp needles to hold flowers made of metal.
These are often put in a bowl or container that is not tall enough to let the flowers stand properly.
They are also good if anyone breaks into the house....good small weapons to throw and injure....alot! Just Kidding!

Glass, porcelain, clay, and metal holders with holes in them,to put in vases.
They make the flowers stay where they are put and not all fall to one side.

There are even wire cages in all forms.

In the 1950's the invention of green floral foam was invented
and overnight wiped out the flower frogs.
Seems like such a short period.

Every time I go into an antiques mall, or thrift shop, I have my eyes peeled for
flower frogs or sugar shakes....another blog at a later time...!
Some days, I find lots. Some days nary a one.
I try to remember what I already have as not to duplicate.
This doesn't always work.
If the price is low enough, it's mine!
I never pay more that $10 for one and hardly ever that!
My girls are very good at finding treasures for me!

I also like collecting tiny bottles to put in a group for an arrangement of fresh flowers from my garden.
I love it!
A simple pleasure from long ago that makes my spirit soar!

No comments: