Saturday, June 5, 2010

sunburst


I walked the 5K race today in South Bend.
This was the first time I have been involved with this activity...but for reading all the names and their placement in the Sunday paper...looking for names I know.

Veronica, Karen, Kimberly and I walked.
Cute Tshirts.

There seemed to be hundreds of walkers.
Old folks, young folks, folks on crutches, and others with canes.
Big bottoms and anorexic souls.

We all stayed pretty much together until the third block.
Karen and Veronica picked up the pace
not wanting to be behind the out of shape folks.
Karen was the alpha dog the whole walk....pushing us to go faster!

We stopped once when Kim needed to use the bathroom.
Fell to almost the last people.
Karen and Veronica started sprinting ahead.
Cut corners, passed on the outside,
I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked the
crutches out from under that poor man.

Yes, they finished 20 minutes before Kimberly and I did.

I had a very nice walk.
I am not competitive.
I was very happy with 3 mph.
I wasn't out of breath, didn't need an inhaler once,
enjoyed the scenery and neighborhoods,
and the conversation with my friend.
We both have feet problems.
Kind of a pain,
I know Kimberly would have liked to walk faster.
Such is life and we make the best of what we are given.

It was a bit muggy and threats of rain the whole time.
The folks cheering for the marathon runners were so cute and inspiring.
Almost made me want to run!
Almost!

I forgot to bring a towel, so I was stuck using the kleenex
I stashed in my pocket to mop away the sweat pouring down my face.
Kimberly let me know at the end of the race,
before we saw the other girls,
that the Kleenex had disintegrated into tiny pieces all over my face.
I looked like I had been stuck in the dryer
after a cycle with a box of tissues.
In fact, before my shower,
I was still blowing and shaking off bits of tissue from my hair and face.
Thanks Kimberly!
So glad you kept this info to yourself for so long!

We were going to walk back, but rain was predicted.
We took the shuttle back to our cars.
Not before the rain began though.
Bless Kimberly's heart....she packed ponchos for us...
in her dufflebag full of goodies to eat, drink and chew!

We had a wonderful lunch at Lepeeps and
skuttled in our ponchos in the pouring rain, back to the cars.
The goodbyes were ones like I have never experienced with these girls...
a flap of the plastic, and a see ya later...into the cars we went.

Very nice morning.

After my shower, I washed wool and taught Chuck a few tricks,
washed the couch cushions and vegged out in front of the tv.
I wathched Revolutionary Road (kind of depressing)
then saw Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.
I'm such a dumb movie junkie!

Pizza is on the way.

Very nice afternoon.

I am blessed.

No comments: