Wednesday, June 27, 2012

daily walks


Taking daily walks around the neighborhood,
(Chuck and I are mostly up to two walks a day)
have more benefits than exercise for us.

At the first corner, across the street,
three little boys always catch sight of us,
and hollar over..."can we pet your dog?"
Chuck is getting used to these little boys.
Actually I think he looks forward to their admiration!
They informed me that they are not having a good summer,
but could not say why.
One boy asked if I wanted him to tell me anyway.
I told him no, that I didn't want him to tell a secret if he wasn't supposed to.

Around the other corner I am getting to know more of my neighbors.
Doug, who has heart and diabetic problems,
is always sitting on his front step.
John, who was the first neighbor I met,
his wife Pat.
I recently discovered that they are aunt and uncle of
Kay, a friend from church.
Sweet people.
John used to drive stock cars and still
has a shiney, red corvette he likes to drive too fast.
Then there is Brett.
The youngest neighbor, by far.
He takes great pride in his yard/lawn.
He is schooling me on my pitiful grass.
I am off to get nitrogen fertilaizer tomorrow to spread next week.
I may have to tear out my front lawn, as it is half Bermuda grass.

John and Doug were both out tonight watering their lawn.
I told them it was hard to keep up with Brett.
They threatened to turn the hoses on me!
They laugh because Chuck is afraid of sprinklers.
I joked that I thought Brett was skipping showers
because he was watering his lawn so much.
Brett overheard me and informed me that that was not the case!
John and Doug, again were laughing at me!

Two doors down from Brett is Dolly, or Marilyn for real.
She says to remember Dolly Parton...
which is as far from reality as you can get.
She had roter cuff surgery last month
and is struggling with therapy.

I am enjoying these evening walks.
I always plan on taking my time, not rushing,
so there is time for conversation.
Maybe I'll bake some cookies to be neighborly....

I am blessed :)

No comments: