Friday, August 28, 2009

fear of starting

I don't know why I am so afraid to begin this first blog entry.
Maybe there are too many things in my head and I don't know which to start with. I may as well jump in!

I am a Christ follower who TRIES to love on people as Jesus would, and am a very imperfect person who is stumbling and recovering every day!

I wanted to write a blog for the purpose of sharing the crazy life I live.
From acquiring, washing, dyeing and spinning 26 pounds of Romney sheep wool, to stories of raising two girls in rural Alabama and all the lessons learned there.

I have found that I don't really see things the way many people see them.

I am in the process of spinning some alum/cream of tartar mordanted (so the natural dye will stick to the wool) Romney fleece dyed with mulberries picked from a friend's yard, mixed with white mohair! A pretty pale grape color and very soft. The color has almost disappeared from my fingertips!

I am teaching my mom and her sister how to knit toe up socks. What a hoot!

One of my favorite memories is when the girls were very small in Alabama.
My husband's son was visiting from Texas. We were driving to Wednesday evening church when the car ran out of gas. My husband began walking back to the house, as we were in the middle of nowhere on a country road.
I took the guitar from the trunk and began to teach my stepson a few chords.
Folks were driving by, stopping to ask if we needed help, and we waved them on with a smile!
About 30 minutes later my husband came riding up the road toward us on a child's bicycle he borrowed from a neighbor, who lived a mile or so from us.
He had two gas cans dangling from each handlebar! He filled the tank, and off we went, singing I'll Fly Away, the song I was teaching the kids!

Have a peaceful day!

No comments: