Saturday, August 29, 2009

yard work...play...

Just finished 3 hours of working in the back yard. Mowing grass that was way too long, but unavoidable because of family obligations and tons of rain!
I enjoy mowing. I have developed a back yard that is not symmetrical and rectangular, but one with lots of curves and road blocks filled with flowers, bushes and bird feeders! It is a very unruly garden but so cozy. You can wander through it and no matter where you go, there is always a different view and perspective to look at! Hidden roses, behind a large moon flower, a sweet bench surrounded by flowering vines and fuzzy lamb's ear.

I must say that it is a joy to be in all year long sans mosquitoes! I have a deck, fire pit, and covered gazebo! The family room looks out on the garden and I enjoy all kinds of birds, when I remember to buy feed. It really is comforting!
I do my Bible reading/study there in the mornings on the covered picnic table.
I have coffee and breakfast most times. The girls love to spend quiet mornings here!

Lots of work in the spring and fall, but it is what I enjoy the most. My mind empties and I putter around. Sometimes I talk to God and sometimes He talks to me. I feel closest to Him here.
In the fall, I hear the Notre Dame Band practicing and I can hear the cheers during games!
If you ever need to rest and be alone...you are welcome here! The gate is open but watch your step if I haven't been out to pick up the doggie messes! And yes, they have a door for free movement in the yard! But after 10 minues, they won't bother you at all!!
This past summer I spent most of my mornings sitting on the deck with WFRN radio playing and picking through 27 pounds of wool for hay and bits of vegetable matter. The lanolin made my hand so soft! What fun!

After mowing, and weed whacking (I ran out of string so am waiting for papa to fill it again) I picked one zucchini and an onion for a casserole tonight.
I also picked all the blooming marigolds and threw them into a pot to boil....yes, that's where the name came from. I am mordanting white mohair and tomorrow I will dye it with the marigold bath! I love the yellow orange this turns and as I have romney wool the same color, I will mix the two for fuzzy, shiny yarn!

On a side note...As I was mowing I remembered living in the country in Alabama. When you saw people mowing their large lawns, the husband was always on the riding mower and the wife was always pushing the lawn mower...up hills, in weeds, anywhere the riding mower couldn't go. Not just one family either, I saw this from every home! And still do. Take notice next time you ride in the country or large neighborhoods at who is mowing with what. Just doesn't seem fair!

Have a peaceful weekend!