Sunday, August 30, 2009

sounds fun to me

I spent yesterday afternoon trimming little goat feet, applying pour-on and
worming. Oh, fun!

I belong to a group online called handpreparedfibers and the above was a post from a girl talking about her angora goats, the fiber seems to felt on the goats but not once cut. I feel so connected to this group, even though I have never met them. Someday I will! Someday I will have my own little goats and will be trimming their little goat feet too! Life is too short~

Today I noticed many things that make me smile and ponder.
On my way to church, at stop light I noticed two little boys on one bicycle.
My first thought was, why are these young boys unaccompanied by an adult?
As I watched them navigate the street and side walk, I had to smile.
The one in back was purely enjoying the ride, if you could call it a ride, as he was not helping the other at all! The boy in front had to pedal, balance and walk the bike skillfully! He would get a running start, and then pedal like crazy about 8 times. For some reason he thought that this would allow him to coast and rest a bit....No such luck. After coming to a slow crawl, he had to begin again!
The light turned and I continued to church nostalgic of young children playing as if it were their job.

This feeling continued later in the day at the mall. I saw you young couple pushing a stroller with a very cute baby girl in it. It would not have mattered if this child was not the gerber baby, or a baby contest winner. She had the biggest, most vibrant yellow bow right in the middle of her forehead! All passing her, myself included, could not help but smile. I am sure that everyone who saw her will remember her and smile again and again.

Young parents, do not be quick to take a bow off of your child when it is small.
It is worth a little embarrassment on your part for the joy of others. Your baby will never know it looked silly!

One last sight that made my heart sink a little. In the children's play area at the mall, I passed a little girl, maybe 3 years old. She was climbing on the cow that jumped over the moon. She asked her father, "Daddy, you wanna ride on the cow with me?" Sadly he shook his head and continued to read the newspaper.

Come on! Your kids are only young once and if you do not play with them now, no matter what other people may think of you at the time, you will miss this opportunity forever! Play while you can! Dance in the middle of the kitchen with your wife, play duck duck goose with your son! Go to a baseball game with your husband and really try to get into it!

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail aqay from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore! Dream! Discover!"...Mark Twain

No comments: