Friday, September 11, 2009

God's plan all along

It is amazing, looking back upon my daughters' lives. Realizing that they are, and always have been the people God had in mind. From the beginnings of their little personalities, until now into their young adulthood.
If you know my girls, you should be able to see this as I describe a day in their young lives.

When we lived on 5 acres in rural Alabama, we would visit my folks in South Bend about every three months. One early spring visit, Terry and I bought the girls, Veronica 7 and Hilary 5, a Barbie Jeep. Red. We loaded it into the back hatch of the Ford Bronco and drove 14 hours back home.

The girls could hardly wait to drive around the "farm". After it was charged for the correct amount of time, we let the girls take a test drive. What fun! Both girls took turns, and when it would inevitably get stuck, one of the girls would jump out and push and pull while the other skillfully maneuvered the jeep to freedom!

Our house was in the center of our property, on a slight hill. Behind the house were 5 chicken houses and the neighbors' 100 acres. The front of the house was highway 17, then a pasture for the same neighbor's cows. Fields were at the sides. The girls were allowed to play outside checking in with me, and knew their boundaries.

I would drag the jeep off of the side porch for them and away they would go.
I so remember and enjoyed listening for them as they drove around the house in a big circle. I would peek out of the kitchen window, or watch from the front porch as they made their way.

Most of the time Veronica was the driver. Full of concentration. Making turns at the correct time, going the correct speed. (This definitely has changed!) And sweet Hilary was riding in the passenger seat, chatting constantly about only she knew what! Veronica was not even listening to her has she may make a wrong turn, and Hilary was always talking! If the jeep got stuck, Hilary would dutifully jump out, still chatting, and then have to run to catch up and jump in as Veronica drove off!

Looking back at pictures or home movies these characteristics become even more clear. Veronica reciting the ABC's at 4 and Hilary sitting next to her mouthing her version, and so proudly smiling at her sissy and clapping when she had finished.

Veronica correcting Hil, when she forgot g, h, i, and Hilary smiling and laughing at her mistake! Veronica, always the leader, the accomplished one, the one with the right answer. Hilary always happy and bubbly and ready to agree to almost anything!

Veronica, I see, as seeing things as glass half empty, and by George! She is going to make it full. Hilary's glass is overflowing, and damn the consequences, as long as she is surrounded by friends and has fun!

They both are on their own now, and have one or two jobs, working very hard to make sure they are current on bills, etc. They have goals and dreams for the future. I enjoy them as young adults. I love that they love to spend time with me, however limited their time is. I still see the little girls circling the house, though. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. What a blessing God has given me and the rest of the world in these beautiful young women. The true blessing is that they both love Him, and the world will definitely see Him through them.

No comments: