Sunday, September 20, 2009

pecans and fall

I seem to be more nostalgic these days. I am enjoying the pink and orange sunrises through my dining room window, enjoying the orange changing leaves in the back yard, and the cool morning walks with Veronica.

I have finished spinning the marigold mohair/wool yarn and am looking forward to discovering what it want to be. I have started knitting my sweater with the silver romney and confetti colors spun throughout! I'm excited about that! On October 10, I travel to Kokomo to the Fall Alpaca Festival where I will spin alpaca! Looking forward to seeing friends again!

Preparing to go apple and concord grape picking soon and looking forward to jelly/jam making! This has been a tradition ever since we lived in NY. I remember the first time we came home with enough apples to fill our very large kitchen.
Veronica was 3 and Hilary was 1. The girls took turns cranking the apple peeler corer slicer! What fun those long strings of apple peel!

That was all I did that fall...every day! I learned how to make apple jelly the right and the wrong ways! Applesauce, apple pie filling canned, apple cakes, apple pie....anything and everything apple! Now I have discovered grapes! MMMMMMMMMMM

I have always enjoyed making jellies. When I first moved to Alabama, my mother in law taught me to make crab apple jelly, muskidine jelly, pear preserves to die for, and of course the biscuits that go with them. That is one of the southern things I can make...biscuits!

Now, I tried to make a pecan pie one of the first Thanksgivings with the Ballards.
We had 11 pecan trees on our property! Every one was picked cracked and prepared by me...one who has been allergic all her life to nuts!

I must admit, I have never made a pie that looked better than this pie.
All cut into it and took a bite. Oh! The faces they made! Not good faces either.
As one who does not eat nuts, I didn't know that there was such a thing called bitters in the pecan that needed to be removed before baking or eating!
Maybe that is the reason I am such an outcast in that family!

1 comment:

Buffy Sue said...

I love homemade Jelly and Jam! I hope that you will share with your friends!