Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Terms I use

Mordant: A mordant is a substance used to set dyes on fabrics by forming an insoluble compound with the dye.

I have only used alum and cream of tarter as a mordant, but I think I would like to dump a handful of iron nails into a jar of water for a spell, and mordant with iron! Different salts, metals and acids are used to mordant wool, cotton, silk etc.

I have used acid dyes with no mordants for years. They come in a powdered form and you just add water, boil and rinse. They turn out predictable and beautiful most of the time.

I have always wanted to try natural dyes and have begun to experiment! There is a lot I have to learn but I am really enjoying the process!

The marigolds I boiled and dyed white mohair with, turned out absolutely beautiful! I carded a mix of the mohair with a bit of romney that was dyed with marigolds, and it spun like butter on my Kromski Sonata spinning wheel. I am planning on plying it with cream colored soybean fiber!
The color reminds me of my aunt's hair! She is so proud that the color only cost her $2.99!

Carding: Is the process of brushing the fiber between two "dog brush" like paddles. This straightens the fiber and adds air to it to make spinning easier.

Plying: Is the twisting of two or more already spun fibers together to make a stronger yarn. You can use single, double, triple or more ply in any yarn.
When plying you must ply the opposite direction that the singles are spun to make a balanced yarn that doesn't twist into knots. The direction of twist is called either z or s twist depending on clockwise or counter clockwise spinning!

No comments: