Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer Holidays Past


When I was a kid, growing up in Pittsburgh,
my father's company had picnics on Memorial Day.
Filled with volleyball, badminton, tons of food,
and friends we saw only once a year.
Sometimes, as I grew older,
I hated having to go to this yearly event.
Most of the time, I always had a blast.
My dad always played in the softball tournament.
I remember cheering him on.
I also remember a slide that seemed 300 feet tall,
and a gazillion degrees hot!

When I was a bit older, there were lake trips with friends.
Picnics and Frisbee and long conversations into the night.

When I had small children, and lived in Reform Alabama,
I had the best of neighbors!
We were always invited to spend the day with them.
I treasure those memories and friends!
If Terry was home, we would often go to his folks' house
for a BBQ and bonfire.
These are the happiest memories I have of the inlaws.

Now, as my babies are no longer babies,
they have jobs and friends of their own,
with their own holiday traditions to start.
I miss having close friends and family to celebrate with.
It's kind of difficult with my plus one always on the road
during these one day holidays.
I'm kind of a fifth wheel.
I don't mind, just melancholy tonight.

I enjoy knitting and working in the garden.
It's going to be a hot one tomorrow.
I may take in a movie, BBQ with V, or lay in the sun.

As I have been walking the dog around the neighborhood,
I am meeting more and more neighbors.
Maybe next year I'll plan a block party.
I'd really like to.
Maybe I'll even plan one this summer/fall.

Anything is possible.
I am blessed.
Happy Memorial Day.
Thank you service men and women for all you do for our country.
If it were not for you, the lives surrendered, the fight for freedom,
I would not be pondering these good memories!

No comments: