Thursday, January 5, 2012

winter...


When I was a young mother,
I enjoyed winter.
I liked sledding down hills on garbage bags,
building snowmen,
ice skating,
(I took ice skating lessons in high school gym class)
just playing outside with the kids....

Our first really big snow came this past week.
I caught a cold New Year's Day.
I really didn't feel much like shoveling,
pulling 12 inches of snow off the roof,
or walking the dog in the dark,
as it gets dark here about 5pm.

As I was looking out at the birds and the yard,
I began thinking how much I missed the green,
and growing, and flowers.
I really can do without snow.
Oh, it's nice to watch it fall if I am inside knitting.
It is quieting.
It is centering, and peaceful.
But that's about it!

So.....I will be looking forward to spending a week with he grandbabies
in Colorado in February,
I will relish these 40 something degree days
when they show themselves unexpectedly,
and view the stars that always seem to be close enough to grab during the winter months,
but I will also be researching climates more suitable to nine or ten months of gardening,
more moderate temperatures and friendlier scenery to retire to.

No comments: