Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olds college final day

I was tired.
My throat was back to hurting.
All the bags were packed again in the van.
A few extra bags had mysteriously appeared.
Good thing I brought the mini van!

I arrived to class under cloudy skies.
It had rained and stormed quite a bit that last night.
I was not looking forward to the 3 hour drive home at 5pm.

We took a classroom test that I did ok on.
I forgot the two types of spinning wheel types:
Saxony

Upright
I have an upright.
I did remember the parts of the spinning wheel when labeling tho!

                                                

I was worried about this one.
The menopausal memory is crap.

After we graded and passed in our exams and evaluations,
our instructor talked about her passion for silk!
I understand that unknown until now fiber source.

She showed us cocoons with the worms still inside...
rattling around, dead of course.
She showed us her 12 strand 2 ply silk yarn she spun
and was knitting a beautiful lace shawl with.
I learned what a wondrous thing silk hankies are~
(flattened out cocoons into 8-10 layers of squares
which you stretch out across the room and spin with.)

We blended merino top with tussah and bombyx silk top.
(top is parallel fibers in a long roving)
I spun the best skeins I had spun all week!
Pictures of the differences hopefully tomorrow!

We all went to Mr. B's for lunch.
The ham and pea soup with grilled cheese sandwich was just what I needed.
Chatting about our dogs, homes, and funny stories was just a way to end the week.

When we got back, two of our classmates had baked cupcakes
for the class the night before.
They had asked who liked coconut, and I said I was allergic,
but not to worry about it....diet you know!
Well, I must tell you that those sweet friends made 4 cupcakes
with no coconut frosting.
AND there was one cupcake surrounded by its coconut free friends
so that no allergens could contaminate it!

A level 5 student came to our class and shared with us
her assignment books from levels one and three.
HOLY MOLY!
I have a lot of work to do this year!
We took a class photo and hugged and started a ravelry class page,
shared emails, and are so looking forward to being classmates next year
and for the next five years!

I drove home, hurting and exhausted, and very happy to see Hil and Chuck!
I tried to watch a bit of the Olympic opening ceremonies.....but.....ya.
I slept very well, and am ready to begin preparing for my studies.
So much fun and learning!

I appreciate Hil and hubby with as much interest as they can have.
It's hard really, when no one close to you shares your interest.
I have accepted that my classmates and one or two friends
know and understand my passion.
I know that at the end of this six year adventure, I will be a master spinner.
I am looking forward to improving my knowledge and skill level.
If only for myself.
That is enough for me.
I am blessed!






No comments: