Thursday, October 11, 2012

Four Bags Full

Today I went to my vet's farm in Lakeville IN
and he let me film and even participate in shearing of his Icelandic sheep!
Let me tell you, I was so excited I thought I was going to hurl....
better than any Christmas or holiday event that I can remember!
I could seriously now, go to meet my Maker a happy woman!
Well, besides becoming a grandma....but very close!

Dr. Rock has about 20 sheep,
way down from the 80 he had last year.
All but two are Icelandic.
The family has one cow, a few barn cats and a big old black lab named Rocky.
There are also broiler chickens, roosters and some banty hens.

Posted are two videos from YouTube...
I don't know how to edit, so unless you love sheep as much as I do,
this could be a boring video..
Fair warning.

http://youtu.be/4gBOnoZcO6U  me shearing a sheep
http://youtu.be/_CpCfPXISZw   sheep shearing
However here are some photos!

The Rock family moved here from Oregon about 7 years ago.
Both of their families raised sheep, and this is how the two of them met.
What a wonderful, warm; friendly family this is!
I brought four bags home full of wonderful fleeces to work on this winter.
I am hoping to spin some sock yarn for Mrs. Rock's sister before Christmas.
The black is from a lamb born in April and she has never been shorn before!
I can not even describe this fiber to you!
It's almost like cashmere, or very soft angora bunny!
I can hardly wait to work it up!
I am blessed!
And I really want my own flock and farm now Honey.....!

No comments: