Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dogs N Chickens



I know I have mentioned this before, but I belong to a yahoo group that brings me such joy laughter and support! They helped me through empty nesting and I have learned so much about hand prepared fiber from them.
I have, and am a secret sister. Terry is helping with my ss, by sending post cards from his travels across the country!
I am attending a fiber retreat next weekend and I will meet two of these fiber friends!
Most topics are not fiber but I just love lurking! Most girls raise their own sheep and live on farms. I live vicariously through them, as one day I pray I can join this lifestyle.

A comment was made about a girl's dog killing 5 of 8 lambs and she is wanting advise as to what to do....these two came across and I laughed until I had to change my panties!
I used to have a Dalmatian and a chicken coop. Sparkle did not last long nor did the chickens!
We also had a found golden retriever who was much loved. If one of the bunnies got loose, he would chase them down, and bring it back to me. Un harmed but very wet.
He also loved all of the 13 kittens we had at one time or another. Loved to carry them around and let them sit on top if his head!
Animals give us joy!
Enjoy these stories:


Oh I know I shouldn't laugh, but this one really cracked me up....
couldn't really call her a chicken killer I guess, eh? LOL!!!

I had a wirehaired pointer mix back when my husband and I were first
married. Once he discovered he could catch a chicken he'd go lay under the
pine trees with it, pin it down with his fat paws and slowly and gently
"clean it up" by plucking it delicately, one feather at a time. Of course
the chicken would be squawking pretty good at first so we could follow the
noise and catch him at it before he did too much damage, but he was so
focused on what he was doing that it would take a half dozen tries to yell
enough to get him to let the bird go. Naturally he'd be way in under the
pines where he knew we couldn't just take the chicken away from him. He
never bit one and never drew blood aside from the plucked spots. The
chickens themselves even calmed down and were quiet by the time I'd get to
him. He stopped doing it after a few, I guess he decided it wasn't worth
the effort of listening to all my scolding or that the chickens were too
ugly when they were bald!

AND ANOTHER:

It worked for a lab/dane cross my folks had many years ago. She liked to
grab a chicken, then run with it - keep it in her mouth, dig a huge hole and
bury it alive. We rescued a few chickens from her burial grounds - they
survived but their feathers sure were full of dust and dirt till they got
cleaned up.

No comments: