Wednesday, March 10, 2010

South Bend Chocolate

I am waiting for a dear friend at South Bend Chocolate Cafe.
I worked at the factory a LONG time ago one Christmas season.
I made the chocolate covered truffle cherries.
Interesting.
I did other things as well: making holiday gift baskets,
decorating chocolates, covering raisins and nuts with chocolate.
The worst thing about this was that my feet hurt horribly!
The best thing was that when I came home from work,
my two young daughters would run to me for mint scented hugs and linger in my arms.

SBC has come a long way since then.
I used to go to church with the owner's sisters.
Interesting knowing the back story.
The father used to sell and make chocolates door to door.
His son tweaked the recipe ..and history!
Some not so nice things either.....but that is not for me to say.

I enjoy coming to the cafe.
I mostly come with my oldest daughter in the spring and summer, and winter and fall!
We used to enjoy a kaffe wien, muffin and/or bagel before our diets started.
We would sit outside and talk, or not talk,
listen to others around us and soak up the sun.
You see and hear some amazingly strange and wonderful things downtown!
We both enjoy people watching.
Veronica loves to study here.
Being surrounded by the noise and busy ness, but being separate and alone.
No one expects to see anyone they know here.

Today, my friend is having a hard time.
I believe that it is mostly self imposed, only because of the rules of her church.
I used to be Catholic.
I was raised Roman Catholic my whole life.
I was going to get married Catholic, but my husband had been married before.

We started the annulment process. I was a youth leader at out local church in Texas.
When Terry turned in the paperwork...lots of it.....the priest told him that things would go more quickly if we "donated" funds to the church.
The more we donated, the more quickly it would go.
It could take years depending how much or little we offered.
We were married that June in a Southern Baptist church.

Sometimes I miss the midnight mass on Christmas eve.
I miss the tradition and the beautiful services.
I have fond memories of church.
I came to Christ when I was on a high school retreat.

My friend has been divorced almost as long as I have known her.
He is not a nice fella.
She has been trying and struggling to get an annulment for years.
They have spent lots of money.
Her ex turned in paperwork that seems distressing.
That is why I am meeting her.
It seems as though the annulment is NOT going to happen.

I feel for her.
She is trying so hard to be faithful.
All her children go to church with her and her husband.

After talking with her, I am amazed at how strong and wonderful she is doing.
She is diving into the scriptures and she and God are good.
Through all the trials of the past, her future is bright and loved.
I don't understand or know her pain of loyalty to an earthly church
like this any more. It seems to me that Christ is freeing, not restricting.
I would be hurt and wounded.
She is amazing!
I am so glad she is in my life!

No comments: