Monday, May 21, 2012

Leaving the nest

Both of my chicks have left the proverbial nest.
Oh, it took a bit of doing,
but they are both on their own now.

I helped the youngest today, with some two person jobs.
When I came home..
.early, because neither of us own a power drill...
until tomorrow...
I walked around in my back yard.
I noticed something extra in a planter I had planted
hens and chickens in just the day before.
A baby robin was huddled as much as he could
into the planter.

I believe he left the nest a bit too early
and could not get back to it.

I slowly made my way into the house for a camera.


After a bit, the momma came and fed him a worm,
then flew off again.

She repeated this a few times.
After a bit, the baby bird decided to follow mama to the buffet.
Away he went.........missing the top of the fence by 5 inches.
Down he went into the daylillies.
Momma came back with another worm, but no baby.

Off she flew.
I tried to go and rescue him,
but the shrieking that ensued by both baby and momma,
turned me around.

Five or so minutes later, as I was looking out the window,
the baby bird managed to fly right into my window with a thump.
Then next time I looked out, he was on the picnic table on a watering can.



He tried to fly again, and ended up on the table again.
He walked around for quite a while,

on a bird feeder,
on a chair cushion, then a trash container.
Momma came back and fed him one more time.
I could tell he was getting really frustrated, as he kept trying to fly.
He kept landing short distances away.

After a bit, he settled on the BBQ grill as I can only imagine
he was exhausted.
He rested for quite some time, Momma never far away.

Momma still looking out for him.


Sometimes he seemed to settle stubbornly where it was not good for him to be.

This got me to thinking about my little chicks.,
They are out in the world, living on their own, paying their bills,
making plans for their futures.
However, it is comforting to me to know that I,
just like Momma bird, am never far away if we are needed.
I know that both my girls will eventually move further away,
be less and less dependant on my company, and comfort.
They will make nests of their own to fill with eggs and family.
I am so happy that nature is the same for most of His creation.
There is a plan.
A rhythm.
An order.

And like the Father, I too, want the best for my girls.
I know that His plans far outshine mine for them.
I am content to know that He is in control
and that both my girls lean, and depend on Him.
More on Him as time goes by than on me.
Just as it should be!
As of right now, the baby bird has not left the grill.
It is getting colder outside and I am a bit concerned for him.
He will either learn to fly better, quickly,
Momma will rescue and guide him to safety,
or he will perish.
There really is nothing I can do.
There is a plan.
Hopefully this little fella will follow it.
As I pray mine do.
There is really nothing I can do.

(OOOPPPS!  Off he flew after Momma...and this time overshot the fence!
He is getting stronger, and as I cannot see him anymore,
I will leave it at that!)
Off to clean off the grill.
Blessed.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Best blog post, and mama bird, ever!!!