Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Washing windows with Grace and Truth



I woke a bit early this morning.
The mornings seem to be changing with the seasons.
A few weeks ago, the morning sky from my bedroom window
was steamy, pale blue and no clouds.
The heat was already oppressive.

These recent days, as the school bus' brakes screech,
are filled with white cotton candy clouds,
a hint of charcol on their edges,
the most brilliant blue I can remember, and a cool breeze blowing.
Things appear more golden, even before the leaves change color.

I stumbled to the dining room, cup of tea in hand,
(I always want to break out into Eliza Doolittle when I say that...
cup cup cup cup of of of of .....)
I digress..
I have been doing my Bible study at the table recently because of the heat.
Afterwards, while preparing myself for the day of rinsing goldenrod wool,
maybe playing with some tin mordant on the wool already dyed,
I noticed that my windows need washing.
The summer dust has blown through the screens and left patterns on my glass.

The study I did this morning was on Grace and Truth.
I am always amazed by what I am studying
revolves around what is happening in my life at the moment.
I re listen to conversations I have had, and God's word applies to it all.

Our God is an unchanging God.
He loves what He loves and hates what He hates.
Romans 1 tells us what He hates.
That never changes.
God does not change His mind...ever.
He hates murder, envy, boasting, deceit and homosexuality.
But hating the sin does not mean hating the sinner.
Yes, He created us the way we are and He loves us.
He just loves us too much to leave us that way.

You cannot have Grace without Truth.
God loves us.....Grace
Jesus came to save us....Truth
Grace gets us on track through saving faith
and keeps us on track through sustaining faith
but does not give us permission to get off the track of truth.
This happens when we decide to live by our own standards.

Grace without truth equals liberalism
Truth without grace equals legalism

Grace is not passive, avoiding of confrontation, nor indifferent.
Truth gives us convictions and the courage to confront.
While grace allows us to speak these convictions with consideration and tact.

So, as I wash my windows today, I hope to see more clearly.
To not compromise my standards and beliefs,
but also not act with a spirit of condemnation.
Let the truth be the truth.
Let God's grace allow me to lovingly express that.

*Bible study...a call to Grace by David Nasser

No comments: