Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Eye of the Beholder

I am reading a book now,
that really has my creative juices flowing!
Leaving Van Gogh by Carol Wallace

I have always been interested in art history.
I love going to museums and viewing art everywhere.

My favorite artist, James Brandess,
lives and works in Saugatuck MI.
I can spend hours in his studio,
watching him work or studying his art,
the smells of oils and acrylics,
and his big old dog wandering around.


I have always wanted to paint.
I love how the thick medium smears on the canvas,
months to dry, colors blending
to make inspiring feelings seem possible.
Bits of turquoise streaking through greens and oranges.

I actually did paint one piece years ago.
It took all day, and I kept having to stand across the room
to see what I was painting.
I suppose I like the impressionists best.

This book about Van Gogh's last year is amazing!
It is a work of fiction based on facts and his works.
I must find a good book of his paintings
to be able to "see" what the author is creating for her readers.
She talks about how quickly he paints,
how seemingly random additions of color allow the viewer to
emotionally feel the work instead of just see it.

I must admit that he is not one of my favorite artists,
or wasn't until now.
Such a troubled man, so loved by his younger brother.
His paintings reflect his surroundings and state of mind.

The author also included other artists of the time,
of which I am also anxious to view their work.
Especially Gautier The Women of the Salpetriere.

Walking through my garden,
even though it is starting to dry out and fall is coming,
inspires me to invest in paints and easel.
The butterflies on the buddelia bushes would be my first venture,
IF I actually would paint.

For now, on this glorious day,
I have work to do for my folks' 50th anniversary party,
cleaning out the fiber room to make room for more fiber (!)
and a final curtain to make for the spa.

Life is fresh and fine and blessed.

No comments: