Saturday, August 6, 2011

Nothing has changed in 17 years


I had the privilege of having lunch
with people I baby sat for 17 years ago.
Barb and John Boucek are probably
the longest lasting friends I have ever had.
I started babysitting for them when I was 13
and their baby girl, Katie, was two weeks old.

This was my first job, and my best.
Back then you were only paid $1 an hour.
How that has changed!
They lived four houses down from me
on Sleepy Hollow Road in Pittsburgh PA.
I learned so much from this family!

I still remember every room in their house,
like it was my own.
I don't remember the back yard though.
Barb had back surgery during this time,
I cleaned and watched Katie for her.
I always remember they had the biggest Christmas trees
I have ever seen!
I loved looking at all the ornaments!
When Katie was four, baby Andy came into the picture.
They moved to Ohio when Andy was 18months old.

I feel as though I never really knew Andy,
but Katie was my first child...in a way.
Kate was married last August.
How old do I feel?!

It's funny because I want to know Kate, her name she goes by now,
like I know my girls.
She is a social worker in Washington DC,
and Andy is a geography engineer there.
Barb was really good to write letters every Christmas with info
and pictures and happenings through the years.
They got marriage and birth announcements and updates from me too.
It almost seems like we are family.

Barb got bone cancer a few years ago,
and has been going through many treatments.
They didn't expect her to live this long.
I'm so glad that God is in control!

The Bouceks have moved to Ft Wayne IN
and I plan on keeping this reunion/friendship currant.
They are just as I remember them!

I woke up at 7:30 this morning ready for lunch at 12:30.
I felt like a teenager again!
I really couldn't contain myself, I was so excited.
Really, I couldn't even wait until they got into the restaurant.
I had to rush out into the street for hugs when I saw them.

John made the comment that I was such a quiet girl when he knew me.
He said that I have certainly changed!
HAHAHAHA I told him I was just really comfortable with them!

I am blessed with wonderful friends from everywhere.

STILL GIDDY OVER THEIR VISIT!

As John is a ND graduate, and not lucky at all in the ticket lottery,
if anyone knows, or has four tickets to any football game this year,
I and they would be ever so grateful.

1 comment:

boilingmarigolds.blogspot.com said...

Big Brain hole! It has been 33 years...not 17!
I really don't know why blogger won't let me change old posts!