Thursday, November 25, 2010

New Traditions


As Thanksgiving rises on this foggy, icy morning,
I am struck with new traditions in my family.

With the addition of boyfriends for the girls and our circle,
I have had to make some adjustments.
I must admit that last year, the first change,
was quite difficult for me.
Patting myself on the back for how well I am doing this year!

Hilary is spending today with Joe's family.
Veronica is cooking and Jamie is playing video games, so I'm told.
My mom, dad and grandmother and I are going out to Cracker Barrel today
for our meal and to celebrate my mom's 72nd birthday...last Monday.

My sister and her family were to come tomorrow, but they are having car troubles.
Hopefully they can come Christmas morning.

I will work on lighting the xmas tree, and preparing green bean casserole,
stuffing preparations, apricot brie topping, and some strawberry rolls.

Tomorrow is black Friday, which I have never participated in,
but for one year working at Media Play
(the best job I have ever had)
I will make orange monkey bread, Brussels sprout au gratin,
and finish the stuffing.
At midnight I will start the turkey...new recipe off of SweetPaul.com

Then on Saturday morning my family will gather for cooking,
and breakfast and games and eating!

It sounds like a nice relaxing series of events.
I used to cook everything myself in one day
and was exhausted and sick for Christmas.
V is bringing desserts and sangria, and chive rolls,
Hilary is bringing sweet potato casserole
and Mom and Mema are bringing relish trays,
deviled eggs and cranberry jelly.

We have also decided to do something different this Christmas.
I don't have small people around any longer to buy for.
My daughters have their own jobs and money
and buy what they want and need when they want or need it.
I do the same thing.
However, I will be spoiling my grandbabies ridiculously!

So we are doing a dirty bingo/white elephant this year.
Everyone was to bring enough gifts for each member of the family.
All gifts must be thoughtfully chosen or found.
Only one gift could cost $10 and that was to be the most expensive gift.
The creativity and excitement come in the wrapping!

We each take a card and go around the circle picking a gift.
The next person can take from the pile or take from someone else.
Until all presents are taken.
Then unwrap!
Possibly exchange.

As my father was thinking this through,
he realized that with 12 people here for Christmas morning,
(Hil will be with Joe's family Christmas eve)
we would have a pile of about 132 gifts!
We would be gifting until New Years.
We have decided on 5 gifts.

Terry and I always go out and do a few stocking stuffers together.
Hopefully I can reign him in on overdoing again!

I am excited about these new traditions.
I am excited about the new traditions to come in the following years.
I love the holidays.
I am blessed.

No comments: