Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the hunt begins


It has started!
I feel like a pirate searching for treasure.
Many enemies are hiding, keeping me from the gold.
I wade through known dangers, but must focus on the prize.
There are many surprises this year.
Things I had not anticipated.
But the rewards look to be even sweeter than last year.

I venture to the back yard.
Sometimes a jungle.
Humid and overgrown.
I wade through dog toys and grass and weeds.

I am already fighting the mosquitoes as I sift through the leaves and vines,
Looking for string beans, yellow squash, okra and zucchini.
I have already picked 3 green peppers that rival any grocers produce.
One tomato in a see of tomatoes may be picked tomorrow.
I have enough green beans for a meal for myself.

Green beans are always a challenge.
Daddy long leg spiders hide in the leaves.
The beans are the color of the leaves so I overlook many with each pass.

The yellow crookneck squash plant, yes one plant, has taken over the garden area.
It's leaves are huge....see above.
It has a prickly spine and leaves which must be navigated carefully.
Thankfully, the other zucchini and squash are making their way into the light.

And I have discovered HUGE radishes that came from ......?
They grew to be too big to eat, before I discovered what they were.
Sunflowers have also made a mysterious appearance.

Looking forward to the late summer.
And more challenges!

No comments: