Saturday, July 17, 2010

A New Perspective on an Old Story


or tiny part deux!


John 2: 2-9 The Message
When they started running low on wine at the wedding banquet, Jesus' mother told him, "They're just about out of wine." Jesus said "Is that any of our business Mother - yours or mine? This isn't my time. Don't push me."
She went ahead anyway, telling the servants, "Whatever he tells you, do it."

Six stoneware water pots were there, used by the Jews for ritual washings. Each held twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus ordered the servants, "Fill the pots with water." And they filled them to the brim.
"Now fill your pitchers and take them to the host," Jesus said, and they did.

When the host tasted the water that had become wine (he didn't know what had just happened, but the servants of course knew) he called out to the bridegroom, "Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill, brings in the cheap stuff. But you've saved the best until now!"


I can't tell you how many times I have read or heard this story
of Jesus' first miracle.
From many different preachers and many different versions of the Bible.
Today, as I was studying, something new was brought to my attention,
and it seems to be a theme for me this week to learn.

Yes, Jesus could have made wine out of empty jars.
There didn't need to be water in them.

However, Jesus chose to use ordinary, even lowly servants,
to help him in this miracle.
It is said that most of Jesus' miracles used regular people
doing regular everyday things.
I will have to read more on this,
but I can see that from the Lord I love.

He wants us regular people involved in his miracles.
We only have to hear and obey our part.
Tiny acts are used for great purposes
even if we never realize the full outcome of our actions.

I am ready for action Lord!
Ready to help you in any way I can...not that you need the help,
but because you want my help!

No comments: