Friday, July 30, 2010

I could just spit!


This is so much fun!
I spent most all of the day discovering with my drum carder!
I ordered Deb Menz's book Color in Spinning.






I spent a whole afternoon this weekwith a highlighter, scouring this book!
Today I played.

Never would I have done the things I did today,
without her prompting and instructions!
What pretty yarn!
Six colors, two groups.
Two different batts layered together of each color group.
Two different yarns.
(Although they don't look much different to me!)

I learned a way to make roving out of the batts.
Normally I would have just ripped the batt lengthwise and spun,
but this way I made one looooonnnnngggggg thin roving,
which is way easier to spin into a great yarn.

(Roving) is just a long thin continuous section of fiber,
with the fibers all smooth and going the same direction.

I love love this carder and it is so fast!
I am going to have so much fun yarn to spin this fall!
Wahoo!

1 comment:

Buffy Sue said...

I will have to get over there and see all this beautiful yarn you are creating once the kids all get back to school! That is of course if you don't mind!