Thursday, July 15, 2010

tiny


I feel so very small today.
I feel small, but very powerful!

I was at a church leader meeting last night
and we talked mostly of our upcoming new third service.

How funny this is!
When I joined 4 years ago, I think.
I am very bad at how time passes.
Anyway, when I joined Living Stones there was only one service.
Only about 200 people attended.
It felt like being in the pastor's living room and he was talking with us.
It was comfortable after belonging to such a huge church before.
No one was noticed at the other place.
Money seemed to be the talk, all the time for their big dreams.

Last night as we discussed our need for another service,
the pastor shared the church with us.
This is who God is using to impact the south side of South Bend.

We have no money. No sugar daddy for huge amounts of money that we need.
Most of our people give what they can and with all the unemployment, that ain't alot!

We have a tiny building.
Yes, we have made some improvements over the years, but the building isn't growing.
We just had our tiny parking lot paved, because it was a death trap!
We have no air conditioning in the bathrooms or hallways.
As the pastor likes to point out, we only have one urinal in the men's room!
I have never seen this however, so he could be exaggerating!

And the kicker of the evening, was....look at the leadership!
We are all nice people, but come on!
We can barley hold a conversation~!
We are all fallible and weak and small.

But, we are trusting in God.
We do believe that He is using us and our church for His purposes.
We now have close to 600 people that attend regularly.
We only have room for 380 chairs in the sanctuary.

After last night's meeting I felt like David with the slingshot.
I can do anything, because God has my back.
He is making the way for me.
He will not let me lose.
My purposes are His purposes and I am His tool to use.

I am weak and sinful and full of mistakes.
My tongue often disappoints God.
But I am aware of these through the Holy Spirit, and He will change my heart.

I want to be His light! To let people know that He has their back!
That they cannot fail if they are following Him.
And that His rewards are so much more than the world has to offer.

I am small but I am powerful!

No comments: