Friday, October 8, 2010

Jelly Season



My favorite time of year is Autumn.
My favorite month is October.
My birthday is devil's night...Oct. 30
My favorite winter evening drink is candied apple juice.
Just put some red hots in the coffee filter,
instead of water, use apple juice.

So why not add some red hots to apple jelly!?
MMMMMMM. My kitchen smelled of holiday today.
The candy apple jelly turned out crisp and red and cinnamony!

Apples....ap·ple   /ˈæpəl/
[ap-uhl]

–noun
1. the usually round, red or yellow, edible fruit of a small tree, Malus sylvestris, of the rose family.
2. the tree, cultivated in most temperate regions.
3. the fruit of any of certain other species of tree of the same genus.
4. any of these trees.
5. any of various other similar fruits, or fruitlike products or plants, as the custard apple, love apple, May apple, or oak apple.
6. anything resembling an apple in size and shape, as a ball, esp. a baseball.
7. Bowling . an ineffectively bowled ball.

The fruit of God.
Supposedly.
They are by far the most versital of produce.
Poor Michigan had a very short season for picking though.

jel·ly (jl)
n. pl. jel·lies
1. A soft, semisolid food substance with a resilient consistency, made by the setting of a liquid containing pectin or gelatin or by the addition of gelatin to a liquid, especially such a substance made of fruit juice containing pectin boiled with sugar.
2. Something, such as a petroleum ointment, having the consistency of a soft, semisolid food substance.
3. A shapeless, pulpy mass: The hero's laser zapped the monster, turning it to jelly.
4. Something, such as a body part, that has suddenly become limp or enervated: Her knees turned to jelly when she learned she won first prize.
5. A jellyfish.

So for the year, I have apple butter,
apple clove jelly and now candy apple jelly.
Not many of each, but enough.
I still have TONS of grape jelly left!
Don't know why I was stingy with that one.

The leaves are turning.
The cool nights have been great....
but electric blankets are way too much money!
Even though the trucking company sent us $50 for driver appreciation.
I appreciate you Terry.
I will appreciate breaking down and using that gift
for an electric mattress pad.
But not this week....
Supposed to be in the low 80's!

1 comment:

Buffy Sue said...

You share your birthday with my MOM!!!! I am very excited, now I will never forget your birthday!
All your jellies sound very yummy!