Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What it is to walk Chuck!





I love my schnauzer, Charlie.
I must say, tho, that he is one weird dog.
He is very picky about his walks, among other things.

When I ask him if he wants to take a walk,
he barks and runs to the door waiting for his leash.
I gather keys and poop bag and attach his collar and leash.
The first thing he does is shakes the leash and starts to chew on it.
As we get out the door, he continues to chew and
starts to play tug of war with me.
This will go on until we leave our yard.
The chewing continues.
When he needs to pee, he drops the leash.
Then picks it up again.
I assume until it gets too wet and icky, that he finally drops the leash.
Until he hears or sees another dog.
Then he grab the leash, kinda barks,
and kicks grass with his back legs.

My block is a mile long.
Nice neighborhood in the day time.
Many breakins through the years, so I tend to stick to daylight hours.
About halfway around the block,
Chuck gets tired.
He will find a shady spot with nice grass and lay down,
staring at me and daring me to continue.
I usually take a drink of water now.

I coax him and we are off again.
He continues to pee on anything on the ground at least 2 inches high,
even when he is empty after a block.
He looks at me when I laugh as if he is angry with me.
Usually this is it until we get home.

Today, however, he stopped to rest 4 times!

And heaven help us if he gets a leaf on his leg.
Must stop to take it off.
He hates to have the leash around his front leg,
and will stop if the leash gets between front and back legs.

He is afraid of other dog's poop and runs away from it.
He is terrified of any strange noises.
Once, while walking along Corby,
a dog in a passing car barked at him.
Now he walks on the inside of the sidewalk.

I don't know how or why he became such a weird dog.
The vet doesn't know either.
So, if you venture on a walk with us,
be prepared to stop often and laugh a lot.
I do.

No comments: