Friday, August 20, 2010

allegan fiber festival


I took two days off this week.
Just for me!
I drove about two hours north to Allegan Michigan.
The weather was great.
We had a cold front come in
which kept the temps around 80.


The alram went off Wednesday am at 5:45.
WAY TOO EARLY FOR ME!
I loaded the car with clothes, water and yarn.
I got the the Allegan County Fairgrounds just on time.
The class of 10 was introduced to the continuous strand loom.
8 of the 10 were working on seven foot triangle looms and
Ila and I were working on seven foot rectangle looms.
Honestly there is quite a bit of difference.
Carol Leigh is a great teacher and she and her family
have been making looms and weaving for decades.
What inspiring things they have made.

I spent the first hour taking notes and learning terms.
Then the work began.
For the next six hours, I wove and wove and wove.
I took my own "bulky" yarn and added some merino with it.
Should have used just one color because I wasn't too happy with the
end results of the color combo.
But I wanted to learn everything I could learn.
And did I ever!
By the end of the first day,
I was so confused as which loom to buy the next day.
I had come for the rectangle,
but they were doing amazing things with the triangles.
Then there was the square.

I finally went to the hotel in Holland,
got some spaghetti at Goog's...lol...and a milkshake,
and settled in for the night.
I tried to read the loom literature, but my eyes were crossing
and only seeing rows and rows of yarn!

SIDE NOTE:
I really do enjoy getting away from the every day routine once in a while.
I love my life and my family and friends.
There is just something about being on your own,
in a new place, with new ideas and people and spaces.
Where I can focus on one thing only.
All my concentration.
I was totally exhausted each night, and totally absorbed.


The next morning, after an invigorating breakfast
of banana, chocolate donut and apple juice,
I returned to the Youth Building at the fairgrounds.
I had decided on the rectangle.
I had spent this much time on it so far,
I dare not try to learn the triangle in one day!
Maybe another year.....

I was moving along so quickly that I thought I would be the first finished!
Until I sent that text telling my loved ones how wonderful I was doing.
My yarn broke, and I got the strands twisted several times.
I finished almost last.

Thank you God for putting me in my place and not letting me get so cocky!

I learned the leno lace technique, and finsihed off the weaving.
Took more notes on fringe...way cool...
and bought my loom...
and accessories!
Gotta have them tools!

When I got home, Joe put the loom together for me.
After rearranging my family room, and moving lots of things out,
I have room for my lovely rectangle loom.
Yes, I even started a 7 foot scarf before bed that night,
just so I wouldn't forget what I learned.

New adventure for my continuing fiber obsession!
Thank you Terry!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're very welcome, beloved .... it's kinda cool actually, being married to an artist. Enjoy.