Friday, August 27, 2010

PFFFTTT Natural Dyes




Well, after spending three days working with natural dyes,
I can honestly say that I am either no good at them,
I may need to take a class,
Or science has come a long way baby!

One whole day was spent preparing the mordant.
This is what is supposed to make the dye juice stick.
Measuring 1/6 teaspoon of something is for the birds.
I tried Alum mixed with cream of tarter,
Copper, Tin, Iron, Chrome (one of these was also mixed with c of t)
I spent that night, soaking and boiling and cooling wool in these concoctions.
The next day, I measured walnut, avocado seeds and peel into 6 different pans.
Added the appropriate amount of wool and water,
Boiled the correct amount of time,
cooled over night, and rinsed diligently today.

The only differences I have found are what the mordants colored the
original wool.
Chrome is a very pretty blueish,
copper is pale green and iron and copper are coppery!

I have had really good luck in the past with mulberries, grapes and marigolds.
I'll stick with these.

I have become a HUGE fan of Kool ade, and acid dyes.
These never disappoint me and I love the vibrant colors.
I may be mother earth in some areas,
but I like me some color!
Bring it on.
Kool ade this weekend!

1 comment:

Buffy Sue said...

I am all for the Kool Aide Dyeing! I am sad however that the others did not turn out as you would have liked them too.