Friday, December 3, 2010

Following Through


The tree is up, decorated and so pretty at night.
I like to take my glasses off and look at the lights.
If you don't wear glasses, squint at the tree.
It makes the lights look star-bursty!

Many things are happening at church that I have volunteered for.
Decorating the church, neighborhood luminary walk,
book sale, hat and mittens for the elementary schools,
meals for CARE ministry,
lots of knitting to do for the holidays,
watching the snow and staying cuddled in the house enjoying the season.

But no.

My mother in law is dying.
My husband is picking me up and we are driving to Alabama.
I don't know how long I will be gone.

I was a little upset about this.
For more reasons than one.
I love being home.
I love my family and church.
I love my...comfort.
Yes, I was pouting and stamping my feet.
Feeling sorry for myself.
All my plans and comforts were being turned about.

BUT....

I have also been studying Jesus.
Luke 9:23 says
He said to them all, "If anyone wants to come with Me,
he must deny himself, take up his cross daily,
and follow Me."

Also Luke 9:28-36
Christ reserves the right to bring us to a place that forces us
to ask "who is this man?"
And if we are willing, He will show us a glimpse of His glory
and we will be changed as He transforms before us.

I have gotten used to seeing God as I always have.

Then I read Mark 7:31-36
Jesus took a deaf man aside, away from the crowd.
In my study, Beth Moore encourages that
sometimes, when Jesus is about to do something really special in our lives
He will rearrange our surroundings.
He will take us out of our element,
to give us a new perspective on God's glory and power.
To grow in us a spiritual gift of love for the body of Christ.

Finally I read Mark 9:14-18
The disciples were unable to drive out demons,
even though God had given them the power to do just that.

Beth's reasons for this were...
Their positive influences (Jesus) were absent.

We must know where our confidence is coming from.
In our own faith, and not from those close to us.
To stand, with Christ, on our own two feet.

And the second reason, is that the disciples strongest negative influences
were present in the teachers around them.

We can't afford to wait until everything around us
is perfect for us to show the love of God to those who need to see it.
God teaches us that sometimes,
the worst conditions
can often provide the best atmosphere to act in faith.
If our faith discouragers
can shake our confidence badly enough to disable us,
our confidence may be in ourselves instead of God.

So I will joyfully travel to Alabama because I love my husband.
I love that he wants me next to him as he struggles with this painful time.
I know that I am not welcome by some family there,
as I am loved here in my hometown.
I know that God is with me and I am to show His love
even when I am uncomfortable.
I am His to use in any way He wants to use me.
And I am at peace with this....now.

In a way, I am taking off my glasses to look at the lights.
Looking through the star bursts in a new way.
I am blessed.

No comments: