Friday, December 31, 2010

Time is a River by Mary Alice Monroe


Today is a good day to read.
New Year's Eve and my honey is in Canada.
Never do have many big plans on this holiday.
We try to stay awake until midnight,
Bang some pots and pans
out the front door into the New Year,
and shake some money for luck.
Must have black eyed peas and pork for dinner the next day.
I'll check the refrigerator.

However, back to reading.
I found this book at the library a few weeks ago.
Just cracked the cover
to make sure I was interested,
then life got very busy.
Today, while it is raining,
I settled in to read.

I picked it up because the main character
is recovering from breast cancer.
A topic I am just now familiar with.
There still lies a tiny trickle of fear in the back of my mind.

Have you ever been so taken and pulled into a story
that you didn't want to stop reading?
The story line is one that you can see yourself fall into
quite completely and so very easily?

I am only through the first third of the book,
but it has me captured heart and soul.
V and I are going out to dinner,
so I must hold my suspense for an hour or two.
Thankfully it will be Saturday tomorrow.
If my eyes will allow me,
I would very much like to finish this book by
the first day of the new year.

I am really hoping that this book does not
disappoint me in the revealing of it's mysteries.

1 comment:

Very Sleepy Girl said...

I will be honest - I rarely make the time to read for pleasure. However, while we were on vacation, I knew it would be a good thing. So I got a few books from the library before we left and absolutely fell in love with them. I'm sure they weren't even "good" compared to many other options out there, but it was a wonderful experience! Makes me want to read more!